May 27, 2010

$$Frugal Friday Tip$$

Never use 12 x 12 paper when you don't have to.... by Kathy

This weeks Frugal Friday Tip is very simple - but not always followed. I can not bear to cut into a piece of 12 x 12 paper - unless I have nothing smaller that will work. When I started scrapping I scrapped with 8 1/2 by 11" paper. So, I've got tons of that size paper. Most of my scrapping is 12 x 12. My solution is to use 12 x 12 as my background - and then use smaller pieces for everything else (including mats).

This is a page in progress -the red background is of course 12 x 12 - but everything else is either cut from a 8 1/2 by 11" or is a scrap. The three strips will appear to be the same length once the page is complete













The yellow is actually a scrap that was much shorter than 11" - so
I actually split it in two - and will place it on the background so that it appears to be 11" and use the picture to cover the split. No one will ever know that the strips are not all the same length - or that I didn't use 12 x 12" paper.



























My layout will have hand made paper flowers on it, which will all be punched from this assortment of scraps.

This is a great way to save on paper - especially if you have paper smaller than 12 x 12.

I'll post this project once it is complete - only You and I will know that I split the paper and used scraps!

Do you have a Frugal tip you'd like to share. Just email your tip, along with pictures to
scrappinpsycho@live.com. We'd love to post it here.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Great idea Kathy. I am sure the layout is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see it finished. I sent you my picture this morning, so sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tip! I fake paper strips all the time! I bought some 6x6 paper pads recently and use it like it were 12 inches long all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this also.
    I am one thrifty scrapper. I keep every single scrap of paper. Sometimes I have trouble using scraps as I love the pattern so much LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip! I'm going to have to work on this...i guess you could say i'm a paper waster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip Kathy! I store my cardstock scraps right along with my 12x12 paper so I can check my scraps first before cutting into a full 12x12 sheet.

    ReplyDelete