May 24, 2010

May Challenge

Graduation card by Ren-Yi




Reader Ren-Yi submitted this card for the May "Get Out of Your Box" Challenge. Here is her description:

Why is this "out of the box" for me?

Non-A2 card format: Since the graduation gift was going to be cash, it needed to fit in card nicely.


Better cardstock: I recently hit a frustration point when making cards that my current "Recollection" card stock (at 65 lbs.) is not cutting anymore. So I have upgraded to Bazzill cardstock (80 lbs.) until I can find better. Any recommendations? I am leaning towards GinaK or PTI, but would love to hear your input.

VersaMark as inking: I have seen so many lovely examples used, where VersaMark would be used to deepen the shade of the card stock with a stamp image. This actually resulted in a boo-boo. Can you guess what it was? I tried to put a border along the bottom of the card. But since the stamp image was not long enough, I tried to line it up and it resulted in a mess that I decided to cover with the sentiment. After that the card looked like it needed a little something else and I decided to use the individual circle to create a random versa-marked background.

Keep it simple: I never seem to be able to stay to just two colors. So this time I practiced restraint. Notice that I couldn't resist with the red surf board. But overall I think I kept my intent...

Thanks for the fun challenge!
Ren-Yi

Thanks Ren-Yi - you did a great job - and no one would ever guess you made a mistake.

Now it's your turn to take the challenge. See all the details in May Challenge below.

11 comments:

  1. What a great graduation card! I love everything about it! As far as cardstock goes i love Bazzill, but i've also tried Core'dinations and loved it too. Thanks for playing along with us and "getting out of your box"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Ren-Yi! :) Fabulous out of the box concepts -- especially since you're so new to the paper crafting world! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card! The surf board is a cute touch to it as well - summer feeling of freedom. I also use Bazzill and love it. My other favorite is DCWV pp and cardstock. Thanks for playing along with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Great card! Lots of new techniques and that's a good thing...makes sure that you stay on your toes as a paper crafter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her explanation of its creation is helpful for our understanding the piece. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card! I love how the white pops on the dark background. I can't help with the cardstock. Personally, I don't like the really heavy stuff for my cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute card! I really love Bazzill, but I'm not really into cardmaking!

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your card... Bazzill cardstock for me!! Also that "mistake" that you described with the stamping along the bottom... I call those "HAPPY ACCIDENTS"... makes you get creative and figure out some way to fix it and for me, at least..most of the time it's better than I had originally planned!! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome card with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CreativeChretin- thanks for the tip. Will have to check out Core'dinations.

    Belinda - i had all the time to watch someone else grow, and learned a lot while watching... i wonder who ;) good luck on paper idol!

    Kimmarie Baker - My brother loves surfboards, that's why it had to go in ;) I have seen loads of DCWV paper, but it seems overwhelming since they have many different lines.

    Laurie Marmon - i agree! My next challenges will be die-cutting w/ my BIg Kick and giving my WMS Nestie-friendly stamps a go! And you and Steph are making me want to try vintage/distressing inks

    Richard Chen - you're welcome. it's nice to see you in the crafty world. one of the few guys that appreciates the crafty creations...

    Wendy K - to each their own! thanks for sharing your preferences. there's very likely someone else out there that doesn't like heavy paper...

    Rach H - that's alright. i can still learn a lot from your scrapping technique! so any insight is valuable! thanks again.

    Joni Parker - i whole-heartedly agree. the fun thing is creating the accident and then figuring a way out or turning it into "intended" design ;) thanks for the words of encouragement and putting it all into perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out great! I love the dark blue and the touch of red! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. scrappy77 - thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete